I bought my first turntables and a mixer in January 2006, and started to have fun with vinyl records. From there it quickly grew to become my primary interest, first complementing, and then surpassing my street dance hobby. From 2010 onwards, I have been doing around 60 DJ gigs per year (over 70 in 2015) and on top of that there’s also the approx. 25 radio shows per year on Bassoradio (since 2011).
Monthly club nights:
- Ruff Cut, Tenho, 2/2016 – 4/2016
- Keep The Groove, Ravintola Helmi, 12/2010 – 2/2016
- Boogiedown, Bones, 10/2015-11/2015
- Ruff Cut, mbar, 2/2014 – 10/2015
- Jook Joint, Adams, 6/2014 – 12/2014
- WERK, DTM, 11/2012 – 12/2015
- Ruff Cut, Suola, 11/2012 – 5/2013
- Natural, Club YK basement, 10/2010 – 3/2011
- Street SM (Finnish street dance championships) 2016 / 2015 / 2014 / 2013 / 2012 / 2011
- Baltic Session, Tallinn 2014 / 2013 / 2011
- Funkin’ Stylez World Finals, Berlin 2012
- Funkin’ Stylez Finland 2013 / 2012 / 2011
- Oulun Katutanssit (Oulu Street dance Festival) 2016 / 2012 / 2011 / 2010 / 2009 / 2008
- Vogue Ball with Benny Ninja 2012
- Helsinki Urban Dance Week 2012 / 2011
- Dance.fi Hiphop Fest & Show Of The Year 2012
- Apollo Vogue Ball 2012
- International Dance Days, Estonia 2012
- Snow Ball 2011
- HELL SINKIN’ Ball 2011
- SADE Festival, Gloria 2010
- Time Tunnel 2015, Oulu
- Slush 2015 Nordic Hangout
- Red Bull Shock The Dock 2015, The Monkey, Turku
- Arctic Startup Afterparty 2015, Club Capital
- Mix Master Mike, 23.9.2015, The Circus
- Pori Jazz Afterparty 2015 & 2014 @ Barco / Jazzkatu
- Ilosaarirock Rentodisco 2014
- Waterland Festival 2014, Disco Stage
- Hanko Poker Run Afterparty 2014
- Red Bull Crashed Ice 2014
- Wake The Stadium Afterparty 2014, Pacifico
- Neste Oil Rally Helsinki Battle 2014
- MTV Push 2014, Helsinki
- Red Bull Red Monday 18.8.2013, Arken, Mariehamn
- Red Bull Red Monday, 10.3.2013, Escape, Jyväskylä
- Vuoden Huiput Gaala 2013, Dipoli / Espoo
- Top Gear Live 2012 Pit Party
- Quicksilver Few Words premiere, 2012, Nokia Factory (Kaiku)
- Benny Ninja @ Maria Veitola Show 2.2.2011
EDITS & MIXTAPES
DJ ESGROVE BIO
It’s all about dance music!
Known as DJ Esgrove, Aksu Lukkarila is a truly versatile dj. Coming from a background in dance, deejaying was a natural continuum to his love and passion for dance music in many styles and forms.
As a streetdance battle DJ, Esgrove specializes in house and is known as the top voguing DJ in Finland. He’s played in many of the biggest streetdance events in Finland and has been invited to play in international events abroad like the Funkin’ Stylez World Finals 2012 in Berlin and The Baltic Session in 2011, 2013 and 2014.
Esgrove is also one half of RUFF CUT DJs with DJ Cool L. Together they organize regular club nights in Helsinki and host a radio show dedicated to streetdance music and culture on Bassoradio.
RUFF CUT DJs BIO
This dancefloor burning duo consist of DJ ESGROVE aka Aksu Lukkarila and DJ COOL L, better known as Lasse “Lasa” Hyttinen. A proper tag team of bangin’ beats, Ruff Cut is all about breaking the genre borders with style. Their bi-weekly radio show “Ruff Cut” on the Finnish top urban and electronic music radio station “Basso” has been running since 2011 and focuses on street dance music and culture. The boys have been seen behind the decks both in many of the biggest street dance battles and jams as well as in clubs all around Finland in addition to their own regular club nights at Helsinki’s finest joints like mbar, Bones, Adams and Ravintola Helmi. In the end it all comes down to classy dance music blended stylishly together. With Ruff Cut you’re gonna hear a wide selection of old favorites and future classics from rap to funk and from disco to house – keeping it fresh no matter what.
Ruff Cut Show on Bassoradio every other Thursday from 20.00 to 22.00 (GMT+2). On the show we play music with a focus on street dance and try to have interesting guests from time to time, with whom we talk about what’s going on in the street dance scene here in Finland and abroad, as well as about dancing and life in general.
You can listen to our previous shows with the Basso On Demand web player and mobile app, or our older shows from Mixcloud: